Thursday, April 30, 2009

Life in Cordes



Today was my third day of work.  Lisa and I work with one chef in a kitchen behind the Musee de Sucre.  Today I made pound cake and fruit cake and shaped olive bread.  So far I have done something different everyday.  The town is very quiet right now.  It should get more crowded in the summer.  There is a museum of sugar art right above the kitchen I work in.  People come and take tours to see sugar and pastillage sculptures.  It's pretty cool.  On Tuesday a group of school children came and watched a sugar demonstration in our kitchen.   The chef made a swan, apple, pear and a rose.  Lisa and I rolled and shaped pastillage.  It's pretty difficult communicating, hopefully I will pick up more French.  I only have internet access at work.  Everyday at about 5pm here, I am able to go online.  There is no internet in my room right now.  I am staying with Lisa in a two bedroom suite in the Hotel de la Cite.  It is right up the street from where we work.  The hotel is closed right now, so we are the only people there.  I'm not sure if we will get internet access when the hotel opens.  The connection I am using right now is wireless, but the walls are so thick here, the signal doesn't make it to my room.  I am getting used to using the internet here.  So hopefully I will be able to update this more.  Everyday I go to work at 7 am.  At 12:30 Lisa and I go to the Hotel Le Grand Ecuyer to eat lunch with the people who work in the hotel there.  We come back to work at 1:30 and then work until about 5pm.  There are only three of us in a pretty big space.  At 6:30pm we eat dinner at Le Grand Ecuyer with the people who work at the restaurant there.  I told the chef that I am a vegetarian and I get meatless food now.  After dinner Lisa and I usually watch a movie or tv show on DVD.  There isn't really anyone outside after we leave the Restaurant.  I'm sure things will change when the town fills up with tourists.  I am hoping to travel on my days off.  Monday Chef Manu, Lisa and I are going to Albi to a supermarket.  It should be pretty exciting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment