Saturday, April 25, 2009

Paris to Toulouse



Yesterday afternoon I walked down the Champs Elysees to the Louvre.  The Louvre is open until 10 pm on Wednesdays and Fridays which was really convenient for me.  The walk is truly spectacular.  I got to the Louvre at 6:45pm and entered through the pyramid.  There are many different places to purchase tickets once inside.  I got in a short line for ticket machines and had a ticket in less than 5 minutes.  Then I chose to see the Denon wing first.  This wing included 13th to 18th century Italian paintings as well as Italian sculptures and Large Format French paintings.  It felt like walking into an art history textbook.  I always knew the Louvre has a wealth of priceless art, but until seeing only a portion of it, it was hard to grasp the extent of the wealth.  I viewed the Mona Lisa and countless other famous works.  I then went to the Sully wing and saw Greek art, Egyptian artifacts and 18th and 19th century French paintings.  I saw so many amazing things and only really saw a portion of the museum.  I have to go back again to see the rest.  I spotted many people having twilight picnics on my walk back through the Tuileries Gardens.  It was such a perfect sight.  

On my walk back to my hotel I stopped inside a McDonald's. I was to curious to pass it a second time.  They serve Macarons and tarts at a McCafe counter inside.  Once back at my hotel I was completely worn out and went to bed.  This morning I took the TGV to Toulouse.  It took 5 and a half hours.  Then I walked to my hotel and have since been relaxing.  My day in Paris really wore me out and the weather her is cool and overcast.  I will explore the city tomorrow.  I am meeting Lisa at 5pm so i have all day to enjoy the sights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment