Monday, August 3, 2009

Sisters in Spain

Last Saturday I took the last train to Toulouse to meet Kelly and Michelle on Sunday morning.  The earliest train the next day wouldn't have gotten me there until 9am and there flight got in at 8:15.  It was really important that I met them at the airport because none of us have cell phones.  I took advantage of my extra time in Toulouse and saw the new Harry Potter.  It's quite fun to watch films with French subtitles.  I'm so glad I got to see it.  I stayed in the same hotel as my first visit to Toulouse in April.  Everything was fine there and I walked to the bus station the next morning.  The bus to the airport is 4 Euros and leaves every twenty minutes.  It is very convenient.  I arrived at the airport with time to spare, and a sign that said, "Brennan Girls."  There flight arrived on time and then we headed to the car rental desk.  Kelly had booked a car in advance online.  The desk didn't open until 9 am so we had time to get some pastries and Michelle's first French Espresso.  She thoroughly enjoyed it.  Our rental car was a little diesel Citroen.  It felt kind of like a remote control car.  

Kelly drove, I navigated and Michelle was the official Photographer.  The route to Barcelona was only two toll-roads so navigating wasn't too difficult.  I had gotten directions from google as well as maps of France and Spain.  The ride was fairly easy and the countryside was beautiful.  There is a more scenic route that you can take, but we really just wanted to get to Barcelona.  If we had more time, it would have been very cool to stop at Carcassone and see the castle that we saw from the road.  Once we reached Narbonne, we headed south.  The border between France and Spain had a security checkpoint but everyone just drove right through.  The border patrol did stop a Ferrari on our way back into France, but otherwise travel within the E.U. is very easy.  

We parked  in a parking lot near the north bus station in Barcelona.  It was right near the Arc de Triomf metro stop.  We took the metro to Linsey and Michael's Flat.

1 comment: